Tuesday, July 03, 2007

HOME TO BIG STONE GAP by Adriana Trigiani


I just finished this book -- I had been reading it while I read Gregg Olsen's "Starvation Heights." Home To Big Stone Gap is one of several novels all based on the character of Ave Maria MacChesney's life with her family and friends in Big Stone Gap in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. While the publisher touts this book as the author's "most powerful story yet", I can't say that I would agree, although I have not read the others. To give this author proper credit I think I will get one of her other works and see how this compares. Apparently, her books have been on the New York Times Bestseller list.


I just could not identify, empathize or sympathize with, or even especially like Ave Maria. Again, this may be because I had not read other novels leading up to this one. There were ends left hanging that annoyed me. Try this book, though. It was not unenjoyable reading and I did not give up on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read the whole series and thought it was just OK. I didn't especially like Ave Maria either. Especially in the second book (I think) where she went to Italy.

Unknown said...

Well, two 'not that great' so I think I'll pass. I don't know you Lynn, but I've seen your blog so...that's enough for me.

Unknown said...

So I'll cross that one off my waiting-to-read list. Thanks, Violetlady.

You know, I haven't seen violets growing anywhere for many years--not since we left England for America in fact. Do they grow over here? I do like the brave little flower.