Friday, March 19, 2010

R.I.P. FESS PARKER

Fess Parker died on Thursday.  His most memorable role on screen was that of Davy Crockett.  Oh, how I loved that weekly television show in the 1950's.  All the kids, including me, wanted that coonskin cap.  My parents bought me the yellow t-shirt with Davy on the front of it, along with the tan pants with the fringe up the side.  I don't think they could afford the coonskin cap, too.  I remember that shirt and those pants like it was yesterday.  I wore them when we played outside in the woods, pretending I was the girl version of Davy Crockett. 

Even at that young age, I thought Fess Parker was absolutely dreamy!  Of course, I also thought Liberace was.

2 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were my favorite shows when I was a kid, along with Gentle Ben. And I also thought he was so good looking, but I was only 5 or 6 when the show was canceled.

I did notice that he wasn't all that good looking as an old man, but he WAS 85 years old, so that probably had a lot to do with it. ;o)

Janet said...

King of the Wild Frontier! My brother used to sing the Davy Crockett ( pre-Fess Parker)song in his crib. Bet you were cute as a button in your cowgirl/boy outfit. Life seems like it was so simple back then although I am sure our parents struggled to give us the things that we wanted. I don't ever remember wanting anything extravagant, do you?