Friday, March 06, 2009

GIRLS NIGHT OUT

Last night I hosted a jewelry party. This particular one was for sterling silver jewelry for which I used to be a representative. I decided it would be fun to do a little get together and if some friends would like to buy something, fine. But this is a very low pressure line to sell--the stuff is beautiful. My thought this time was just to get some friends together - I wasn't the one selling the jewelry, my rep was. I planned this about a month ago and invited about twenty women. I decided to serve a light supper and also have a drawing for a piece of my silver jewelry from my collection. I also planned to have Mama Mia- the sing along version - on the television for fun.

The menu was white chicken chili, cornbread, guacamole, salad, brownies, and beverages, to include sangria. If you knew me well you would know that I am a terrible procrastinator. By yesterday afternoon I was ready to have a major meltdown. I kept shopping for more things I needed and put off the prep until very late. People were due to start arriving between 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock. I gave up on my from scratch cornbread and used Jiffy mix and added a can of corn. Guess what? It was excellent! I also gave up on the brownies and bought frozen mini cream puffs and some strawberries. Guacamole - no. Just added the avocado to the salad. Sangria -- just bought the bottled kind and added slices of orange and a little ginger ale. The recipe I use for the chili is the one from Bush's Beans and I spice it up a little more. Served with shredded cheese and sour cream it is delicious.

And the twenty or so people invited? Almost everyone came and the party was a big success, if I do say so myself. Some people did buy jewelry and that means I get some free jewelry for being the hostess. Yay!

Everyone left by 8:30 or 9:00 and I was beat. I left the clean up for today. It is really tiring to be the "hostess with the mostest" - ha, ha. Actually I haven't done much entertaining for many years until recently.

I actually had another "girls night out" late this afternoon when a few girlfriends and I went to a concert at a local venue and saw the Diamonds perform. Do you remember them from the 50's? Well, maybe you aren't as old as I am. They are not the original guys, but they did a very good oldies show. We were rockin'! Four old (not really) chicks, looking around at all the old people in the audience and wondering if we looked that old -- no, of course not. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I was home by 7:00!

Always,

14 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

It sounds like you have been having some good times.
I used to have different kinds of party's but don't anymore. Too much work.
I have never heard of the kind of jewelry party you mentioned but it sounds pretty.

Willow said...

I love that you were home by 7:00! Did the Diamonds have a bedtime curfew??

BClark said...

Amazing what we can accomplish at the last moment. I am with you on the putting things off. I have learned to do much ahead of time and freeze it, takes lots of the stress off.
Party sounds nice, doubt we have anything thing like that around here. Probably a good thing, cause I would be buying stuff.
Nice night out with the ladies, I know what you mean by looking around and seeing all those "old" people. Always a shock when I look in the mirror, where did I go???

Jess said...

Good times!

Have a wonderful week

Love, Jess

Linda said...

You have been having fun times. Dinner sounds yummy, especially the chili (I'm going to look for the recipe). Love sterling silver...I'm jealous, a jewelry would be so fun.
I remember the Diamonds...these oldies concerts are the best....home by 7:00...that gave me a giggle. I think I could last until 8:00. Hugs, Lidna

Cozy Home Cottage said...

The menu sounds wonderful, hope you all had a great time together. I love to have parties here at the house. It is one sure way to get all of the cleaning caught up,;-) and so much fun to see everyone, too.

Catherine said...

The party & the girls night out~sounds like fun!
Enjoy your weekend!
Cat

zuveena said...

great story... i love the song in ur page..i keep it open till all ur songs are done hehehe....great page!!!

Anonymous said...

WHAT FUN.....GREAT STORY....I ALSO LOVE YOUR 2/28/09 POST...THE KITTY LAUGHING IS SO CUTE.....BUT I LOVED...IF WE EVOLVED FROM APES...WHY ARE THERE STILL APES....
AMEN SISTER.
BLESSINGS
debbie

kkryno said...

Boy, do I know about that getting old thing! My knees make so much noise going up a set of stairs it sounds like amplified pop-rocks! :)

I sure miss having get-togethers. I'm going to have to make some friends here soon or I'll go crazy!

Have a great week.

Vikki

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I would have loved to be a part of your "Girl's Nite". Invite me anytime.....

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Unknown said...

Just dropping by to let you know I have a super give-away contest running this week (and every week) on my LDS blog at Not Entirely British

This time, the prize is a copy of award-winning author Annette Lyon's latest release in her Temple series - Tower of Strength.

Hope you have time to hop on over and take a peek :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Violetlady,

I just dropped into your blog and started reading... I love it! Now it's under my favorites, like the way you write and even though I read just 2 or 3 posts, I like the way you live.

I am from Mexico City, and also have a blog about dance (all kinds of). Now it's in Spanish, I might translate it into English some day, but it's a hard time stealing job. However, beautiful pics, videos and slideshows for which you don't need any language. In case you want to see it:

http://danzatotal.blogspot.com

Regards,
Maika (My real name is Maricarmen = Maria del Carmen)

Anonymous said...

Hi Violetlady,

I just dropped into your blog and started reading... I love it! Now it's under my favorites, like the way you write and even though I read just 2 or 3 posts, I like the way you live.

I am from Mexico City, and also have a blog about dance (all kinds of). Now it's in Spanish, I might translate it into English some day, but it's a hard time stealing job. However, beautiful pics, videos and slideshows for which you don't need any language. In case you want to see it:

http://danzatotal.blogspot.com

Regards,
Maika (My real name is Maricarmen = Maria del Carmen)