Tuesday, May 13, 2008

BOOKS, BOOKS AND MORE BOOKS and elephants, too






I am surrounded by books to read. I recently finished the BEST book I have read in a long time. It is "Water For Elephants" by Sara Gruen. It is fiction, but laced with some true events and facts. This book is SO good. It is definitely a "must read."
I was so fascinated by the behaviour of the elephant, that I checked out two more elephant related books from the library. I am now reading "Jumbo - The Greatest Elephant In The World" by Paul Chambers. I am almost finished it. It is full of interesting facts, figures, stories and photos and illustrations of this famous elephant who was with the Barnum and Bailey Circus. The word "jumbo" meaning large was derived from this elephant's name.


I also have waiting for me:


1. "The Circus At The Edge Of The Earth (Travels With The Great Wallenda Circus)" by Charles Wilkins.


2. "Modoc - The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived" by Ralph Helfer. (I don't know who was the greater - Jumbo or Modoc).


3. "D" Is For Deadbeat" by Sue Grafton. (I am working my way through the alphabet with this author.)


4. "The Diary of a Nobody" by George and Weedon Grossmith. (This was first published in 1892 and is about a timeless comic character in English fiction.)


5. "My Best Friend's Girl" by Dorothy Koomson (This was loaned to me by a friend who loved it.)


6. "Riding Lessons" by Sara Gruen.



I have finished reading "Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend" which was on my Spring Reading 2008 Challenge list. This was a good book, even though I did not really like the two main characters. The author, Robert James Waller, also wrote "The Bridges of Madison County" which I did not read, but saw the movie. Slow Waltz is similar in that it tells an interesting love story. It is worth reading.



I am also reading "Ida Mae Tutweiler's Traveling Tea Party", but I think I have read it before.



It is a beautiful day here in coastal Delaware. Two days ago we were besieged by very high winds and rain. Tree limbs and leaves are everywhere. You should have seen the ocean yesterday -- the roughest and highest waves I have seen for a long time.


3 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Tina...you have some good books lined up, if I don't have a least three of four books ready to read I get nervous...I'm just finishing a light mystery and before that Ida Mae Tutweiler's TTP which I loved. My next read is the latest in the Blossom Street series and then the Quickie. Linda

Jeff Draper said...

Cruising through blogs and spotted yours. I also have 5-10 books in various stages of completion lying around the house at any given moment. Also noticed the bit about Northern Exposure. Loved that show. I've gone up to Roslyn where it was filmed a few times and they still have a gift shop themed after it. It's in the building that was Fleischman's office. Funny thing is, you always see the one road leading out of town; if you stand in the intersection where the camera had to be sitting and turn to the left you see the commercial strip leading in, keep turning and you see the hillside covered in homes behind you. Not quite Cicely.

Anonymous said...

I loved WATER FOR ELEPHANTS!

There's a place in Tennessee that provides a home to elephants that have been in circuses and such. It's not open to the public, but there's a website. Dom and I saw a TV show about it a few years ago. They had just gotten a new elephant, and she was recognized by another elephant. The two had been together years ago. They became instant friends and spent all their time together. They even had an elephant named Tina!

Here's the website:

http://www.elephants.com