Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Worthy Cause

Thursday night, 11:30. I am bushed. Tonight was our Realtors' Auction for needy children and, as I told you in a previous post, I was on two committees for this. I hate to admit this, but I am glad it is over. It is for a very worthy cause, but what a lot of work. Our company's theme for one item was "Don't Be Chained To Your Desk -- Take Your Business On the Go". We had a mannequin sitting at an old messy desk with a chain wrapped around her and then next to that were the latest in an IBM Laptop Tablet, Scooter Desk, Digital Camera and Apple I-Phone. The mannequin was hysterical. I had to drive way out to a little town to get her (her name is Della). One arm had to be taped on -- she was very vintage and looked rather alarmingly seductive, but she was loaned to us for free. I dressed her in some old business attire of mine. (This is a picture of Della, but not in my clothes). She sat on my sofa for a day and drove poodle Beau crazy. He kept barking at her and even the cats strolled by a few times to watch her suspiciously.


The other item our company had for the auction were two beautiful bicycles with all the attachments, zoom binocular cameras, nature trail and birdwatching books and maps, travel vests and hats and lots of things to enjoy biking and exploring the many trails in our area. The highlight in this package was a $1000 gift certificate to a large Hyatt golf/spa/marina to rest and recuperate.


The entire auction went well. There were a total of 30 packages from various real estate offices in the live auction and a lot of silent auction items. I am sure we raised a lot of money for the needy children in our county.


I have another big auction event tomorrow night which I will fill you in on later. This one I am not working on so I will get to relax and enjoy it.


Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, good night everyone.



P.S. Thank you to everyone who is responding to my 105th Post Give-Away. I can't wait to stop in to visit all your blogs.

3 comments:

Karen said...

The bike package sounds wonderful! What a great idea. Glad the evening was a success!

Mary said...

These types of events are a lot of hard work but they are for a good cause. I'm glad that the other auction will be one that you can enjoy without being on a committee or two.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the other auction.

Take care and have a wonderful day.
Mary

Unknown said...

So glad to hear the auction was a success. I love auctions, have been hooked on them since I attended my first one in PA and bought a surprise box. It was packed full of vintage books. Enjoy your next one.