Monday, October 01, 2007

MONDAY'S FAVORITES

Good morning, everyone!! In keeping with my plan to make Monday the day that I show you a few of my favorite things, not just at home, but out and about, here goes:


The Shirley Temple cup belonged to my grandmother. She may have bought it for my father or uncle. Somehow, I ended up with it. It is now over 70 years old.

The watercolor of the Spanish lady lay unframed in the bottom of a cedar chest which originally belonged to my grandmother and then down to my parents. When I claimed the picture many, many years later I had it framed. I often look at it, wonder who she was, who the artist was and where did it come from. I estimate it to be about 70 years old. (Sorry, I couldn't get the flash out)

The pink stucco cottage did not belong to my grandmother! It is a cottage in Rehoboth Beach that I always thought to be interesting since it is so unlike everything else in the town.



Also, this is my mother's birthday. She would have been 89 today. She was a wonderful lady. We still miss her and always will. Sometimes when I laugh, I can hear my mother's laugh in mine. Happy Birthday, Mom.


I hope you enjoyed my favorites for this Monday. It is a glorious day here on the Delaware coast. Wish you were here!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your favorite things!

I see a lot of your mother in you. She was such a sweet lady - I miss her too!

kris said...

I'm lucky to still have both of my parents - I imagine when they're gone I'll see and hear them everywhere. When I garden, I think of my grandmother who had the most beautiful gardens. I wish I had asked more questions and listened more carefully!

I love the pink stucco cottage - if I ever run away to an island, I want a house very similar to that! :)

kookie said...

I saw one of those Shirley Temple cups on an antique appraisal show once. I guess there is a matching pitcher that goes with it. Wish I could remember how much it was worth...not that you'd ever sell something so cool.

Catherine said...

My mother has a Shirley Temple cup just like that...:)
I love your favorite things, and that is a great idea for a day of the week to post your favorite things!!
Cat

violetlady said...

Lynne, that is just one of the great things about old friends -- we remember each of our mothers.
Kris, I also wish I had asked more questions of my grandparents. I now have to guess so much. Kookiejar, I have a matching pitcher, but I got that on e-bay. Catherine, thank you for stopping by and for the nice comment.