Friday, August 08, 2008

VACATION PIX

Here are some pictures from my recent vacation in New Hampshire:



Robert Frost's house. We visited his farm in New Hampshire. He is one of my favorite poets.


Mt. Washington is near North Conway and it is a big thing to drive or ride up to the top which is over 6000 feet up. There are several actual climate changes on the mountain. It was foggy that day so we didn't make the trip, but you can see the temperature on this sign at the visitor's center. It was about seventy degrees where we were standing.




I like cemeteries and we discovered this wonderful old one on a back road. Look at this wonderful stone wall which you see all over New Hampshire, which is called The Granite State.





Here is the back of the cottage we rent.

Grandson and friend. The boys love to catch little creatures by the lake.


Moultonborough General Store - just part of their candy selection.



View from the cottage. We even had loons on the lake!




My sister was determined to make some "s'mores." We had bought a tiny little grill at Walmart just in case the gas grill at the cottage wasn't working (which it wasn't). I think she managed to get one s'more out of the waning flame.


My sister and I decided to do something silly, so we had henna designs drawn on our hands. Linda's is on her hand (both sides) and mine is on my wrist. I really liked having that intricate and pretty "bracelet". The artist who did them said they would last at least a week, but Linda's was disappearing fast after a few days. The photo shows them after they were just done. The paint kind of peels off and leaves a reddish tint to the skin which is really quite pretty. The custom of this originates in eastern countries and are traditionally done for weddings and special occasions.




Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Karen said...

I've always wanted to visit New England. It sounds like you had a lovely time!

Shelley said...

What a great trip - loved being able to see Robert Frost's home.

BClark said...

There is so much history in that part of the country. I spent much of my early childhood out that way and the family is from New England.
Looks like you had a wonderful time and have fodder for a short story. Write, girl, write!!

Margaret Porter said...

So glad you enjoyed your stay in our Granite State! Looks as though you saw some of the best places! Moultonborough Country Store is a treasure.

Willow said...

My dd and her friend got henna tattoos at the fair every year. They are beautiful. I think they look best on golden/brown skin and my dd tans quite dark in the summer. On me? I'd love one, but it would look odd on my white/pink freckled skin.

Yours looks great!

I love the old cemeteries, too. Not that we have 'old' cemeteries here in the west.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Violet!
Glad to see you had fun on your trip! The Henna looks like fun. My great nieces had that done at the Renaissance Festival and they liked it but it doesn't last as long as they would have liked.
Have a great week!
Hugs, Sherry

Flower said...

What a nice vacation place! I must say that the Henna is very pretty and it's fun to see it!! How long does it take to wear off?

Linda said...

Hi Tina...what a great holiday! Lots of wonderful sites...I like old cemeteries too and love to read the old markers.
How fun to get the henna designs...they are so pretty and delicate and s'mores are a tradition...thank heavens for Walmart. Good times with family and your sister, perfect. Hugs, Linda