Monday, August 13, 2007

LAZY SUMMER DAYS

I have been really been taking it easy for the last week. My daughter and son-in-law and grandsons came to visit overnight and to drop off their sweet Lab, Ohbe, for me to babysit while they are traveling for ten days. Ohbe and Beau get along great, even though Ohbe has to defer to Beau many times because he is so dominant. Little poodle with the big mouth and big gentle Lab. Pretty typical of the two breeds I guess. They will be back this Friday to pick her up and spend a few days here.









I have finished a few books, one of which was "No Corners For The Devil" by Olive Etchells. The author is British and has written many books, although this is the first I have read. The locale is Cornwall, England in a small village by the sea. I thought this would be interesting since I once visited a few of these small villages in Cornwall. The author uses a lot of English colloquialisms which I didn't understand, but all in all it was good reading. The gist of the story is that a violent crime that takes place on the sea cliff near their house changes the lives forever of a new family to the area, the Baxters. This was an easy, entertaining read with some descriptions of the local scenery. The characters were not necessarily outstanding in that I did not identify with any of them or find them particularly interesting. But, how often do we actually "identify" with characters in novels? Sometimes, just entertaining is good enough.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed you! How nice that Beth and the boys came to visit. Their dog is so cute. I can't imagine a big lab bowing down to your little poodle! I bet they're cute together.

Tracey said...

Thanks for the tip on the hair color for the eyebrows!!! I'll have to try it!

kate said...

It must be fun having another dog in the house. Ohbe looks like my lab - I can imagine how Ohbe defers to Beau. Mine would do the same ... he has great respect for little dogs, especially ones who bark!

kookie said...

Ohbe, seems like a nice dog. Is there a story behind that name?

Won't it be nice to have your family around for a few days.

violetlady said...

The story behind Ohbe's name is that it stands for "Oh Be Joyful."
She came to them with that name. Beau and Ohbe are so cute together. They play sometimes, but Beau is jealous and possessive of me.

kris said...

How fun for Beau to have company! My dogs are very possessive of me when other dogs are around - I am their mom - period!