Sunday, January 20, 2008

"MY FRENCH WHORE" by Gene Wilder


Despite the rather racy title, this is an elegant, finely written little book. A mere 178 pages, it is a book that can be quickly read, but easily remembered. The story takes place during the end period of World War I. The protagonist is Paul Peachy, who enlists and leaves his wife and job in Milwaukee to join the forces in France. He is captured by the Germans and the story that ensues is funny, adventurous and pure love story.




You cannot help but be charmed by this treasure of a novel.

3 comments:

Linda said...

This sounds like a good read. Is this written by Gene Wilder the actor?? Linda

Mary said...

This book sounds like a great read. I'm going to check with the library to see if they have it.

I was so happy to see you had stopped over at my blog and left a post. Welcome back.

Blessings,
Mary

Willow said...

Could I count it as historical fiction?

Most people think seagulls are annoying scavengers, but I love the sound of their calling and their funny little ways.